Monday, October 11, 2004

Carnival is Over!

:party:

PTA Carnival was this past Friday and we got through it without too many hitches. I went over to the school about 12:30 to start setting up. The teachers had already cleared spaces for us to set up games so we just had to haul the games from the shed and set out the prizes. I found out we double ordered prizes so that we had prizes to give kids even if they didn't win the games. I thought we were planning to give candy to the kids who played and "lost" and we had even asked all the parents to donate candy, but there was a miscommunication and the games committee wasn't planning to use the candy at all! I felt that if we asked parents to donate candy, we should certainly use it...so we have plenty of prizes left for next year.

The only major hitches we had all night were 1) the dunk tank was set up on an incline and the seat wouldn't latch...We tried several temporary fixes, but nothing was working until my hero, Scott, showed up and worked his magic on it....I was afraid that we wouldn't be able to use it and it is one of the favorites, and 2) The shaved ice machine we were using kept blowing the power for the popcorn and the shaved ice...we didn't know what it was at first, but once we figured it out, we switched it out for our school's snow cone maker...

My main goals were met however, so I am pleased with how it all turned out. We took in about $5,500 but that was not our profit...we will have to crunch the numbers with costs and donations, etc...to see just how well we did. And I wanted the volunteer situation to go a lot smoother than it has in the past. We had about 50 kids signed up from the middle and high schools, which helped us out quite a bit! Plus, Nancy & Cathi did a great job coordinating it all! I didn't hear many complaints which is always good, but I had wonderful committee members...they all did such a great job.

Hopefully we'll post some pictures soon, I know Scott was taking some so we'll post them as soon as I talk him into it...

No comments:

Post a Comment