Thursday, September 18, 2008

Intrinsic Value vs. Monetary Worth

When I started my new job, last October, I was told that I would start at $12.00/hour but that after a 6-month probationary period, I would be raised up to $14.00. When I inquired in April about the adjustment, I was told that the most they could raise me was .50/hour to $12.50. Needless to say, I was not very happy! But what can you do??? There seemed to be no arguing with them, so I accepted this and pretty much forgot about it until I got my first paycheck in August and noticed that I was still making only $12.00.!!?!!


Grrr! I asked my boss and she didn't know what was going on. I told her that I had just been looking at the School District job openings and found a job there that only required an Associate's and was starting at $13.56/hour. (My subtle way of saying I am looking around.) Well, I guess she took the hint, because she started fighting with HR for me and told them that I needed $13.00/hr to make up for the mistake and because I was such a great employee, of course. So as of yesterday, my pay rate went up. It's still not the $14.00 we agreed to in the beginning, but it's closer to what I think I deserve. And I was glad that my boss stuck up for me. Every little bit helps!

2 comments:

  1. Way to be assertive!!!
    I think it's the only way to act when dealing with the school district - It's also nice to have a boss that knows what your worth.. I hope things continue to go well.
    How did the Time Out go? I want to hear all about it...Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote all about the Time Out on my blog...check it out at tonyajez.blogspot.com...it was really great, btw!

    ReplyDelete