Thursday, October 23, 2008

Not a Bug Bite!

Okay...I may be the worst mom ever, but Shaylie had been complaining about this bug bite for a couple weeks and I didn't really pay much attention.  Then, last night, she came out of bed and said she couldn't sleep because her "bug bite" was itching.  I said (finally), "Let me see your bug bite." And this is what she showed me!!!!  YIKES! (The dots around are marks the doctor made so we could see if the welt gets bigger.)



I wanted to take her to the doctor right then, especially after I googled and got mostly Spider Bite for my results, but she said she was too tired and was worried about missing school the next day so I didn't think it was bothering her that much.  I put some cortisone cream on it and first thing this morning, Scott took her to the doctor! (I was in Cedar City at a meeting.)

 Well it turns out that she has warts and one got infected! Scott didn't catch the official name of the "disease" but I googled "childhood warts" and got Molluscum or something like that...the doctor said they could be frozen off which might leave scars or they (she has about 4 on the back of her leg) will go away in 7-9 months although some of the website I was looking at said it would be more like two years. 

So yuck and dang!  Poor Shaylie! She seems to go through more stuff than most of us.  The doctor gave her an antibiotic for her infection but other than freezing them, there's not much.  The website said that Vinegar baths help and soaking a cotton ball with vinegar and sticking it on with a bandaid overnight will help too! So I'll have to try that. 

Anyway, she's okay, no thanks to my awesome parenting skills and I highly recommend against getting warts!

3 comments:

  1. You're not the worst mother in the world.
    Our little guy has those same warts. Love childhood illnesses.
    Hey my little guy gets one on his bum and I think nothing of it until it turns into MRSA. He has gotten it one other time.

    I have not heard of the vinegar treatment for those warts. You will have to let me know what happens. Breagan's doctor popped a few and then we had to put this cancer treatment medication on it....very expensive stuff. Those went away but they just keep coming back. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I thought I was the worst Mom in the world....I did make you crawl to the neighbors with a broken foot you know.....stuff happens Glad she is Ok....I would vote for burning and beiing done....but scars...something to think about...... Ill be down next Thursday night....Love to all...Te really worst Mom ever......your Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love the tests of parenthood. Be tough, be patient, and persevere.

    Give Shaylie a hug & kiss from us.

    We love and miss you all. Papa & Gramma Pam

    ReplyDelete