Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Weekly What's Up

I wanted to tell you about the latest news from Shaylie's World.  You already know how my Shaylie has always been a very entrepreneurial spirit....she's always looking for ways to make money, coming up with business ideas, inventing new products and the list goes on!  Well, she's finally found a very satisfying way to implement some of her great ideas!

She started a class newspaper called "The Weekly What's Up." It began when her school "community" was trying to come up with ideas for new jobs. Shaylie asked if she could be the reporter for the weekly trial they have in class. If kids have complaints during the week they "sue" each other and have a little mock trial. So Shaylie came home with notes from the trial and decided that she wanted to make a newspaper and put in an article, the trial report, and maybe  a comic. It was her usual "Shaylie-way" of taking a great idea and making it greater!

She took it to the classroom the next day and the kids went crazy for it! They all wanted to work for her and they were coming up with more jobs: writers, editors, ad managers, etc. The kids were all filling out job applications and giving Shaylie a lot of attention. Her next edition had these cute ads that kids were buying with their class money. One was for a Dance Club--"get your groove on" and another was for a Book Club, but my favorite was from the boy who was a lawyer in the mock trial that started it all. He had placed an ad that said, "Kamden's Lawyer Service--He helped Nate sue, and that's all he needs to help you."  So cute!

She hired someone as an editor--she wanted to be a writer-- and I showed her how to attach a file to an email, so she was putting the paper together and emailing it to the editor who was making changes and sending it back to her. It was all very professional. I have been so impressed with her skills. So far she has put out 3 issues.

And finally, we went to Shaylie's parent teacher conference on Thursday and her teacher told me how impressed she has been with Shaylie's project. She said it has energized their class and made everyone so excited! I was so glad to hear that she was supportive of Shay's ingenuity. Usually at these conferences all I hear is how she struggles with math, but this was nice because I was able to express my appreciation that they are focusing on what kids do right and not what they are struggling with. Shaylie is so amazing at so many things that they don't focus on in school, so it's been great to see her finding her own outlets for her talents.

And best of all, it is making Shaylie feel better about herself, her friends, and her place in class.  If I can figure out how to do it, I'm going to post one of the issues.  If not, I can send you one if you request it!

Love my kids!!! Both of them are so amazing in so many ways. I couldn't be a prouder mom.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Was so glad to see some news on the web, I was going to call tonite if I hadn't heard, was getting worried about you guys down there. Way to go Shaylie, I would love to read a copy of your paper. Such a good idea, so proud of you. You have every right to be proud of your girls Tonya.
    How are things going with you Scott?. I rent one apartment and get two move out notices, crazy right now. But guess they don't worry to much, Sean spent all week in Canhoon.
    Not much going on had our fish fry on Friday night, went over and helped on Friday afternoon and into the evening.
    Take care, be safe and Love you Four Much
    Mom J.

    ReplyDelete