Saturday, February 6, 2010

An Accidental Morning

Our Friday morning was unfortunately eventful! Scott woke me early saying, "Get up! Your sister was in a car accident!"  By all reckoning, that is not the ideal way to start the day--although having said that, it's infinitely better than being IN the accident. :)  We rushed to the hospital to find my sister and her daughter in good spirits, despite the fact that they ran a red light at the intersection of 700 South and River Road on the way to school that day and were clipped by a truck. They both sustained some injuries. Anje had dislocated a bone in her wrist and Anissa hit her head, but a CT scan showed that all was well. I had to joke with her that the CT might be defective, since it obviously did not detect the damaged part of her brain that recognizes RED LIGHTS! I was just grateful that she was around to joke with. I think they were both incredibly lucky.  Anje had a minor surgery to place and pin her wrist.

You can see from the damage to the car that it could have been so much worse. Luckily, they were both wearing seat belts and the airbags protected them as well.





I have been worried about this kind of thing happening for a while now, since my sister has a very bad reputation for being a HORRIBLE driver. She has been in only two other major accidents before (one of which resulted in a life flight, a coma, and a very long recovery) and several fender-benders. So much so that my first thought when Scott woke me was "Not Again!"  She has laughed it off up until now. But I know that seeing her daughter "broken," as she put it, has sobered her up and I hope she'll take driving even more seriously.

To her credit, she was already starting to be better about Texting and Talking on the Phone while driving. (I know!!!)  We had given her sufficient grief about those that I think she started to realize how important it was to leave the phone off while driving. I'm really hoping that this accident will be the catalyst to a new Era for them.

She feels supremely guilty about what happened, but the thing is we are all guilty of being distracted at times and what happened to her could have happened to anyone.  I am just so incredibly happy that they are still here to lecture and rib and give grief to...Taylor said it best yesterday, after she found out what happened and that all was well. She said, " Can you imagine a world without Anissa and Anje in it?"  The truth is I've had far too many opportunities to imagine just that and I'll tell you right now, I don't like it!  I'm so glad they're okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment