Wednesday, May 29, 2002

Game 2

Taylor had her second game of the year tonight. The first inning was great, all thirteen kids on her team got a hit and ended the inning with a grand slam home run. The only thing that I did not like was that the kid playing pitcher for their team would try and knock over the kids running to first base. I didn't think much about it at the time, but that was a sign of things to come.

This league is for the fun of playing, (and I know, everyone that knows me cannot believe I can go for that, but it is true), but their coach and base coaches thought differently than that. At the kids' age, very few kids can catch and we play so that the kids don't take advantage of that. Sure, we could have kids just tag everyone out and steal and take extra bases on errors, but we are trying to teach the kids to play. The other team's coach, however must believe winning is everything as they had their kids take bases on errors (which technically you can do, but why?), then in the second inning, their coach put a player about ten feet from home plate so that he could get to each ball quickly and run and tag out the kid either running to first or home. I want to see that strategy used in a couple of years when the kids are older (sheeessh). I couldn't believe their coaches. Fortunately, again we had more kids and scored more runs, so hopefully we put those coaches in their place. (Just to let everyone know, I kept my cool and didn't say anything at the field)

Taylor again did great, she got her two good hits, fielded a couple of balls in the outfield, and had fun. We have another game Saturday morning at 9:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment