Sunday, August 7, 2005

What a day...

Today is Sunday and it could have been the end of a fun weekend spent camping at the Coral Pink Sand Dunes. We did have a great time with my Dad and Pam, brother Bryan and Dena, & their kids, cousins Ashton and Chance. However, today about 2:00 I got a phone call from Dena saying that my dad and Pam had rolled their new truck and trailer coming out of the mountains from Panguitch toward I-15. The ambulance was taking them to the hospital in Cedar City. Taylor and I headed up there just as soon as I called all my brothers and sisters. (I didn't let Shaylie come so Scott stayed home to tend.)

It turned out that my dad was fine, they took x-rays of his back and neck but all was well, though he'll be stiff and sore for a good while. Pam they kept longer with tests, CT scans and so forth. But it turns out that she'll be fine as well. She broke the pointer finger on her left hand and the pinkie finger on her right and her first rib under her collar bone on the left side. She banged up her head and arm pretty good...but nothing permanent.

The truck and the RV are a total loss. Bryan and Dena and her mom Tina were in front of them and saw the accident in the rear view. From what they say, the wind just caught hold of the trailer and started them fishtailing down the road and Dad couldn't get control of it. The police told him after that if he would have gunned the engine it might have straightened it all out, but I say there is no way of knowing what might have happened. All I know is that when the wind decides to dump you on your head, there isn't much you can do about it.

They've decided to stay in a hotel tonight and rent a car tomorrow to head up north. Dad is going to take off a week of work and they'll probably stay with Bryan and Dena in Orem until they are feeling up to traveling home. I am just so grateful that all is well. Everything could have been so much worse. I pray that there will be no more trouble for them or anyone else I love anytime soon.

I decided (and I told them this) that they win the Bad Car Karma award, which I was previously claiming, but they have totally blown me out of the water with this stunt. As of this point forward, I am hereby discontinuing any kind of competition or contest, so if anyone was thinking of taking this award in future.....too bad.

I was also walking home from church with my 75 year old neighbor when she fell and hit her head on the sidewalk. Luckily, she was all right....but it's not been my day for safe commutes.

We did have a great time at the sand dunes. Chance turned one and we had a fun celebration. Scott even got to ride a 4-wheeler on the dunes and caught some air. It was fun to spend time with family. We are looking forward now to Shaylie's birthday party on Saturday and our 13th wedding anniversary tomorrow. School starts on the 15th....so summer is ending and I am ready for it. Let's everyone please stay safe and sound! Our love to you all.....T:)

No comments:

Post a Comment