Monday, July 3, 2006

Utah Railway 5004!

Utah Railway 5004

I have seen the Utah Railway MK50-3's several times in pictures on the internet, but tonight we were driving back from Orem and I noticed that there was a train going under I-15.  As I got closer I recognized the IPPX coal cars, and I got excited as I thought that "This could be a Utah Railway train!!"  I took the freeway off-ramp and pulled up to the railroad crossing.  At this point we were at car 143, it slowly went by and finally got to 191.  The crossing gates went up and raced down the road to catch up with the front of the train.  As I started getting closer, I saw the familar red stripe of Utah Railway engines and I drove alongside the train for about a half-mile, then Tonya told me to pull ahead so that I could get a picture, we found a turnout and pulled over and Anissa and I got out to take pictures.  I think the conductor saw me from when we were along side and when he saw us, he blew his horn, which scared Tonya and Anissa, I thought it was cool.  The conductor even waved as he went by!  It was so great!  There were four engines, 3 MK50-3's, and a SD50s.  It was getting pretty dark and we only had Tonya's cell phone for pictures, but still it was great fun.  As you can tell, I am in a very good mood ;-)

1 comment:

  1. nope, sorry tonya I wasn't there. But it sounds like it was pretty hectic. Guess what? I have a date tonight. It should be fun.

    ReplyDelete