Monday, August 4, 2008

Swimming in the Atlantic

Scott's been doing a good job of keeping you updated, but I wanted to post on this momentous occasion...tonight, we swam in the Atlantic Ocean!!!  The beach was so soft and sandy, hardly any people, and the waves were warm.  We went in and floated and swam for about an hour.  It was heaven!  I wished Taylor and Shaylie could have been here with us...you guys would love it!  I took some good pics but they are on the camera so you'll have to wait to see them. 

After swimming, we went to a little shopping mall where there was a Subway.  We still haven't eaten any local cuisine...but I did get a chance to use some Spanish while we were ordering.  And, actually (Mom, you'll be proud of me), I have been practicing my Spanish skills quite a bit.  We have a man in our group from Dixie who speaks Spanish and he talks to most everyone.  I can follow it quite easily, but not when the natives speak to each other.  We have been working with three local ETS people and I got brave enough today to get in on some of their conversations.  I was literally shaking after the first interjection, but after that, it came a lot easier.  Weird, huh?  It's been nice to use some of my knowledge.

Tomorrow, we found out from our local friends, there is a festival in Old San Juan so we will probably ride the bus and spend the evening there.  They have vendors, music, wine-tastings, entertainment, etc...every first Tuesday of the month...so we are in luck.  Wednesday, I would like to find a way out to the little island about 7 miles west of PR called Vieques.  That's where the Bio-luminescent Bay is and they are said to have good snorkeling which I'd really like to do. 

Other than that, the training has been good.  I wish we had more free time...there is so much to do but we have meeting until 5pm every day except Wednesday and Saturday...so there will be some opportunity to get out and about...We'll keep you updated!!!  All my love to everyone!  We miss you!

2 comments:

  1. GrandPa Roger & PamAugust 5, 2008 at 5:04 AM

    Tonya,
    Scott,
    Wow!! It sounds like you are having an incredible adventure. We are soooo jealous, and happy for you at the same time. I am excited to hear about the bio-luminescent bay, with pictures I hope. Feliz festividad en San Juan!

    Taylor,
    Shaylie,
    Thanks so much for coming an visiting with us and going to 7 Peaks. We had an absolutely incredible time with you. Best wishes for a great start to school this year. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

    Love, Papa & Gramma Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad that you are using your spanish and seeing that you can do it....this is the time to try it out...sounds like your doing a fantastic job of communicating, and even if you get yourself in trouble with your new found launguage you'll have to use your newly found skills of the spanish lanuage to get yourself out...so all's well....LOL Mom Were all doing well here and haven't had to hide bodies yet, have a good time and take time to smell the seaweed.....see you soon

    ReplyDelete