Friday, August 8, 2008

Bio-bay-eautiful!!!

Wow...I'm almost speechless...tonight we went to the Laguna Grande in Fajardo, Puerto Rico with Kayaking Puerto Rico.  It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen...It is one of five places in the world where glowing microscopic plankton live in the water.  They light up as a defense mechanism whenever they are disturbed.  It literally makes the water glow when you put the oar or your hand in the water or when fish swim through it. 

The lagoon was about a half mile wide and completely surrounded by Mangrove trees.  We navigated through a narrow passage to get into the lagoon.  It was tricky to get the hand of our two-man kayak, especially with other kayaks coming at us on the return trip, but we caught on after a while.

This photo is a picture of the picture they took as we started our trip.  I'm glad we have it too, since it will liikely be the only picture we have that turned out. 

The lagoon itself was gorgeous in the moonlight.  The stars were bright and the reflection of the moon on the water sparkled almost as bright as the water.  The clouds were billowing up all around the palm tree silhouettes in the distance.  We could hear night animals in the mangroves and the splash of water against the canoes, but other than that it was still and peaceful. 

The most amazing thing of course was the glowing water.  It was really indescribeably beautiful.  I'm glad I got to see it with my own eyes.  The pictures on the internet are nice, but it was another experience all together to see my own hand glowing in the water.   I am so glad we went!!!!

I will probably post more about it later, but I wanted to post before I get to bed.  Check out the company website KayakingPuertoRico.com for pics and info.  Good Night!

2 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh, It looks so beautiful there and sounds like you guys are having such a great time, something you won't ever forget. The food looks yummie. Sounds like you have some fun time Tonya, that's good.
    Scott, you be careful in the ocean. Loved the sign for the girls.
    We leave Monday morning early, going to be a long day, we will have to try and sleep in the upright position also. I will call Sunday nite and see if you got home, was thinking about you yesterday on your anniversary.
    So glad to hear from you two and take care and My Love, Mpm J. XX for my girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are having fun.... :-)

    I havn't seen any train pictures from PR yet...

    see ya when you get back....

    ReplyDelete